Of Domestic Arts
history of Edgewood School of Domestic Arts presents a manifestation of
late 19th and early 20th century Progressive Reform activity in the U.S.
Founded by Eva Harrington Simplot in 1886, the school expressed several
elements of the social reform movement of the time: individual philanthropy,
concern for the status and condition of women, and course of instruction
The large brick building, "Edgewood," was begun in 1909, funded both by the Simplots and by community donations of cash, furniture, and equipment. Edgewood School of Domestic Arts was incorporated in 1910, and formal departments of sewing, cooking, laundry, millinery, "fancy work," and music were established. Edgewood was operated successfully until Mrs. Simplot's death in 1935. Over 900 girls and young women attended courses here. In her will Simplot gave the Edgewood property to " the women of Iowa Falls," for use as a community center - a function it continues to serve today.
The building is of heavy frame construction on a rock-faced stone foundation, with exterior walls faced with dark red brick. The main block is approximately 66-feet long, with gable roof ridge parallel to the front. At either end of ( and at right angles to) the front facade are gable-roofed projecting pavilions which give the building plan the form of a U.A large, one-story, flat-roofed porch, supported by short, square posts on high brick pedestals, shelters the area between the pavilions.
The building is located at 719 River Street and is not open to the public.